Classroom and school celebrations are great opportunities for children to practice the healthy eating messages they learn in the classroom. We’re hoping you’ll help us teach the importance of healthy eating, by choosing healthy foods to send in the next time your child’s class is celebrating. Here are just a few ideas we’ve come up with:
- Send a tray of watermelon slices, box of clementines or fruit kabobs
- Make homemade mini muffins with whole wheat flour and grated carrots or apple
- Send a tray of whole grain crackers, cubes of lower fat cheese and grapes
- Send a veggie platter, or get creative by arranging it in fun shapes for the holiday
- Prepare chocolate dipped strawberries for a sweet treat.
Please remember to send in an ingredient list with items made / baked at home so we can ensure the safety of our students with allergies . Looking for more information to help keep you and your family healthy? Call Health Connection at 705-721-7520 or 1-877-721-5720 to speak with a public health nurse or visit the health unit’s website at www.simcoemuskokahealth.org.