Help your 5 -13 year old child achieve ideal health by getting the sleep they need.
- Set a consistent bed-time and wake-time for your child (even on weekends) that allows for at least 9-11 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night.
- Encourage your child to establish a relaxing bedtime routine that includes reading, taking a bath or listening to music.
- Set up a sleeping space for your child that is cool, dark and quiet.
- Keep the television, tablet, computer and cell phone out of your child’s bedroom – they interfere with natural sleep cycles.
- Discourage caffeinated products as they may interfere with your child’s ability to fall asleep.
- Encourage your child to get into bright light in the morning.
- Be a good role model – talk to your child about the importance of sleep and set the tone by making sleep a priority in your life.
Looking for more information? Call Health Connection at 705-721-7520 or 1-877-721-5720 to speak with a public health nurse or visit the health unit’s website www.simcoemuskokahealth.org.