Sometimes the stress we face can feel overwhelming, and our kids experience it too. Here are some tips for managing stress that the whole family can try:
- Take deep breaths: this sends a message to your brain to help calm down and relax.
- Get active: play sports, exercise or do something to get moving.
- Laugh and have fun! Laughter and physical activity actually cause physical changes in our bodies that help to relieve stress.
- Show love with words, hugs and kisses.
- Decorate a family worry box: everyone in the family can write down their worries and put them in the box. Then take time to review the notes together, talk about them and show each other support to help cope with stress in a healthy way.
For more tips, or to speak with a public health nurse, call Health Connection at 705-721-7520 or 1-877-721-7520 or visit the health unit website at www.simcoemuskokahealth.org.