Talking to your child about emergencies before they happen can help take some fear away and help them be prepared. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Teach your child about natural hazards like tornadoes, severe thunderstorms, ice storms, and blizzards – and what to do when they happen.
- Talk to them about what to do at school if an emergency happens.
- Teach them what to do in case of a fire; plan emergency exits and a safe meeting spot.
- Make sure your child knows how to use 9-1-1 and when to call.
- Create a family emergency plan and prepare a home emergency kit together. Check the link below for what to include in your kit!
For more tips visit www.getprepared.ca or call Health Connection at 705-721-7520 or 1-877-721-7520.